Saturday, April 9, 2011

Confessions of a pack rat

Confession: I am a pack rat in remission.

I like to keep stuff. Lots and lots of stuff. I don't like to throw anything away. I might need it later. Consider clothes. I grow out of clothes sometimes. I want to keep those clothes forever because I just keep imagining that maybe one day I might loose that extra couple pounds I've put on, and I might need them. Or I keep some clothes that have special memories. The outfit that I was wearing the night Lance proposed, I kept that for years. A pink striped tank top and short khaki skirt. Yes, I am just a little bit sentimental. Some clothes I really like but they just don't work for me. I am have been given clothes from friends. I really like the clothes. I want to keep them. They are cute, just not on me. No matter how cute an orange t-shirt may look on someone else, it will never look good on me. Orange clashes with my skin, and sadly there is no way to get around that fact. Yet, I still don't want to get rid of the cute t-shirt.


Clothes are not the only problem. I like to keep a lot of other stuff too. Remember how I said I am sentimental? Well......I think at one time I had in a couple drawers, about 99% of every card/letter/note that Lance has written me since we met in 2003. I'm not just talking about sweet love letters. That is worth keeping. I had the notes that describe his teacher's monotone voice, how slow the clock is ticking, and how he can't wait to get out of class. Not exactly worthy of keeping for a lifetime.


I have a bad addiction to expired samples and old coupons. If I get a sample of a beauty product, baby ointment, or laundry detergent I have a strong desire to hold on to it. I rarely use these samples. I just keep thinking that maybe, just maybe, I might run out of the 700 containers of diaper rash cream I got at my baby showers, and I might have need for one of the sample packs. Or I think maybe I'll try this laundry detergent one day, and three months later it's still sitting on my laundry room counter top unused. I also am crazy about cutting coupons. I try to only cut coupons that I will use, but occasionally I will clip one for a product I have never tried. I go to the store and quickly discover I don't want the product after all because the store brand is cheaper than the name brand even with a coupon. However, for some reason I never throw those coupons away. This is a major issue.


However, there is good news. I am in remission! Yes, I have fought my pack-ratty tendencies. I have thrown away clothes. I have donated clothes. I have gone through notes and letters, kept the important stuff, and thrown away the rest. I am proud to say that most of the samples are either used or in the trash. This decluttering of all my junk is a process that has taken about a year. And I am still finding things that I need to get rid of. Today, while switching my winter clothes out for summer clothes I went through my clothes for about the 3rd time this year. I decided that if I came across a piece of winter clothing that I had not worn all winter, I would find a new home for it. Well, I threw away four faded t-shirts, and I set aside five or six shirts and two pairs of pants for donation. I am moving forward. I have to admit I slip up sometimes. Sometimes my pack rat attitude flares up again. But, I see progress!

No comments:

Post a Comment