Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Ello-minnow-pee?



For Christmas, Caleb got this adorable Alphabet Caterpillar. It is put out by LeapFrog. It has 26 little legs, and there is a letter on each leg. Mommy can set the caterpillar on different settings such as: alphabet sounds, letter names, games, or songs. Let me tell you, as a former first grade teacher, this kind of a toy makes me excited. I love toys and games that teach phonics and letters. Naturally, I greatly enjoy educational games. Although Caleb is a little young to be reciting the alphabet, he still likes the toy. He gets super excited when the caterpillar's antenna light up as it "talks" and "sings."

I would like to point out that even though Caleb does love this toy along with his many other blocks, stuffed animals, balls and light-up games, his favorite things to play with are not baby toys. He loves grown-up toys. His top favs are daddy's ipod, the laptop (which for a short time last week was missing the letter P after you-know-who got ahold of it), and mommy's cell phone. The latter "grown-up toy," my cell phone, has a jammed number 8 button. Just in case you get a text from me that is missing the letters t, u, or v, now you know why. I am sort of contemplating the idea of stopping buying toys for this kid until he's about 3. Honestly, he is more content playing with pots and pans than the faniciest toys Fisher Price can put out. In fact, this afternoon, Caleb played with a large plastic spoon and spatula for 20 minutes while I was cooking. Twenty minutes! Do you know how long he would have lasted playing with one of his kid toys? Oh.... about 19 minutes shorter than that. Anyway, before you get mad at me and report me to child's services for abusing my child and not buying him toys, let me assure you that as long as grandparents are around Caleb will never lack in the toy department! ;-) And those of you freaking out about small buttons choking small children, rest assured that Caleb is not allowed to play with things like cell phones and laptops, he just doesn't seem to understand that concept, yet.

Okay, I chased a little bit of a rabbit there. Back to the Alphabet Caterpillar. Let me remind you, that I really like this toy. And I really like Leapfrog. And I really like the alphabet and do not have a problem with caterpillars in general. However... this cute little caterpillar plays a song that has me quite annoyed, and I would like to share it with you:

A, b, c, d, e, f, g, h, i, j, k, ello-minnow-pee..... Huh? What? You are probably wondering what-in-the-heck kinda alphabet has the letter ello-minnow-pee after the letter k. Well, let me introduce you to Sarah Sudduth's pet peeve #1. It gets on my last nerve when teachers and parents teach their children to sing the alphabet song so incredibly fast that they have no clue what letters they are singing! L-M-N-O-P would be the main problem letters. But, I try to be understanding. Most parents don't realize that this will be a problem. But Leapfrog? Come on! Don't you people do studies on education? You advertise being one of the best for learning games, and yet you are teaching preschoolers that the letter between K and Q is ello-minnow-pee! Seriously? You can do better.

1 comment: