Friday, January 21, 2011

Walking


Walking seems so simple. It takes no thought, much like breathing. I sometimes take walks alone. I think best when I'm walking. At times, I get so caught up in my thoughts that before I know it I have walked a mile. I suddenly look at my surroundings and realize just how far I've gone without even realizing it. One step in front of the other. Breath in. Breath out. Fresh air. Birds chirping, dogs barking, wind breezing by. A simple joy in life, to walk.

My baby boy cannot yet walk. He stands on curled-up toes trying to balance, clinging to my hand. Every step takes thoughtful determination. He grasps the couch, coffee table, or the dog's collar as he uses his little bare feet. Shoes and socks make the task even more difficult as he trips over unrolled socks or untied shoelaces. Deep breaths. Think hard. Watch all surroundings. Focus. Determination. A hard-earned joy, to walk.

One day he won't be a baby anymore. He will walk without thought. And run and jump and skip and probably bounce off the walls. It will be effortless. When babies are learning to walk, they don't get mad, give up and quit. They don't try once or twice and accept for themselves a life of crawling. Thank goodness too. Who wants to carry around a bunch of grown-up babies who never learned to walk?

I learn slowly sometimes. I am a perfectionist, and usually when I can't do something perfectly I decide it's best not to do it at all. Are you like that? Is there something in your life that you are learning slowly? Take a lesson from a baby and keep trying. You'll be glad you did.

1 comment: