Monday, January 24, 2011

Poor Wiggle Worm



A few days ago I probably would have told you that there is nothing worse than being sick. Today, I found out that I was wrong. There is something much worse than being sick: my baby being sick. My precious, ten month old son has the flu. The little guy is usually so full of energy and always ready to play, but today his sweet little heart was just not into playtime. All he wanted was mommy or daddy to hold him, and for those of you who know my wiggle worm well, you know that that's not at all normal for this busy little man.






A kind lady at church happened to hear that Caleb was at home sick and noticed that our family was missing at the staff dinner and church bible study tonight. She took it upon herself to box up some delicious dinner and bring it to our house while it was pouring down rain. I can't express how much that meant to me. I didn't ask for it, and I surely didn't expect it. I was touched by her thoughtfulness and care for our family.






I have just finished reading a fiction series by Beverly Lewis set in an Amish community in the 50s. While reading the books, I was impressed with the consideration and love that was shown to the families in the Amish communities. The people were quick to fix a meal or a special dessert for a sick or grieving family. They also loved to pitch in whenever a particular household was in need of some help canning, harvesting, or sewing. I remember reading about this so often that I found it a little odd how much the families cooked for and helped each other. It seemed like they might run out of food for themselves because of all the cooking they did for others.






My Sunday School lesson last week dealt with the topic of service. One of the scriptures we focused on was Matthew 25:35-40. "For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat; I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink; I was a stranger and you took Me in; I was naked and you clothed Me; I was sick and you took care of me; I was in prison and you visited Me......I assure you: Whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of Mine, you did for Me." I was reminded tonight of just how important those verses really are. I was ashamed that while reading a fiction book about a family who followed these scriptures so completely, I found it strange. They did those acts of kindness not only for each other but for the Lord. So did the sweet lady who brought us supper. I hope and pray that God will give me the opportunity to serve others and Him. So often God gives me opportunities, but I am too busy to notice. I also pray that God will slow me down enough to notice "the least of these."

1 comment:

  1. I want to be part of a church like that too. I still remember all of you in Clinton bringing us meals after our car accident. It meant the world to me. :)

    ReplyDelete